Monday, September 24, 2012

What Makes "Scary" Movies, Well, Scary?



Mondays are my days off.  Kids are in school, husband is at work, and it's just me and the classic movie channel...

Old movies are the best.  Men were real men, their pants weren't hanging off of them, they treated women like they deserved the world, which they do, and romance was real without having to get naked on screen.

Today however, I watched 1956's The Beast of Hollow Mountain.  I think it was supposed to be a horror, but I couldn't stop laughing long enough to be sure.

I don't get scared with movies.  I can appreciate the scare aspect, like Paranormal Activity (not the second one), but I just don't get scared.  My husband hides, jumps, and even screamed in a theater once (The Grudge), then tried to blame it on me.  My son refuses to watch any horrors after seeing Paranormal Activity.

I find scary movies entertaining and my husband hates it as I watch scream flicks late at night while he tries to sleep.  I think I like them more because I don't find them scary.  I can focus on costumes and backdrops and the plot, if there is one.

So what makes a scary movie, scary?

For most people it's anything about the unknown - demons, aliens, ghosts, asteroids...

For me: make a movie about teen pregnancy, the discontinuation of microwave popcorn, government cameras in your house, or anything they discuss on daytime television.  How about what the FDA allows as "acceptable" in your food products (that's an interesting read that will make you grow your own)?

LIFE is scarier than anything they can dream up in Hollywood!

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Zimbio
Top Stories