Monday, December 10, 2012

Is It Really Better To Give Than Receive?



The premise started with a verse in the Bible (ACTS 20:35):


"I have shewed you all things, how that so labouring ye ought to support the weak, and to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, It is more blessed to give than to receive."

Well, it's Christmas and the season you hear that phrase more often than any other time of year.  We all know that means that the person saying it couldn't afford to give what they really wanted or that they received little to nothing and use it to make the giver feel better.

My husband and I divide our funds up for certain things throughout the year and as tough a year as we've had, Christmas has been a lean one as far as the number of presents under the tree.  For my kids, they are completely fine with it.  Only asking for one or two things each and that's normal.  As my oldest, Bear, often says, "I already have everything; I can't think of anything else."

Well my husband and I usually manage to find more and make their morning even better, but this year has been harder because I broke my tooth out of the front of my mouth last month and had to get braces that aren't covered by insurance. (very expensive)

I have secretly managed over the year to do the usual Christmas splendor and tuck it away, but my husband has not done for me in the manner in which he has in the past.




I am not bothered by this, but he is stressed about it.  He lives by the better to give than receive concept and since I do the shopping for the kids, he does for me.  There are presents, which I purchased online for myself, shipped home, still in the original packing, and he will wrap them, but he thinks there should be more.

I looked at him and said, "You really want to give me something special?  You cook the Christmas meal this year!"  He can do cereal, toast, and hot dogs, so that really wasn't a good request.

It's a different day and age we live in than when I was a kid.  I was explaining to my kids just this morning that when I was young, we got maybe one little present in our stocking, but the rest was filled with fruits and nuts.  

As they sat speechless, aghast with horror, I explained it was a real treat back then, we didn't have boxes of Little Debbies in the pantry, fruit was our "sweets".




I'm excited and anxious for Christmas as always.  I do feel better giving and the receiving is nice, but Christmas is not about jewelry.  Let's face it, I'm a mom.  You want to give me something special??

Rub my feet.  Rub my shoulders.  Keep the kids out of the bathroom while I take a long hot soak.  Give me a night off from cooking.  Someone else do the laundry for a day.

I'm more rewarded with how much fun everyone has in our holiday traditions, together, than what I get in a little box.  To be honest, having a tooth back in the front of my mouth was worth more than any bauble or trinket to be found in a glittery box.

Literally....











   


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Zimbio
Top Stories